Wingate College

The Baptist Associations of Union County (N.C.) and Chesterfield County (S.C.) realized the necessity for colleges within the Piedmont area mid-1870s North Carolina. As a result of destruction and poverty left by the Civil Battle, many colleges have been closed within the area, however the baptist group approved the development of a church-backed college for people who lived in Union in addition to for members of the affiliation. After G.M. Steward donated ten acres of land to the Baptist Affiliation, the Wingate College opened its doorways in 1896.

Named in honor of Dr. Washington M. Wingate, a distinguished educator and previous president of Wake Forest School, Wingate College equipped Piedmont college students from first to twelfth grade with a well-rounded schooling. Marcus B. Dry, the primary principal of the college, together with Miss Polly Crowder taught the scholars throughout the college’s early years. Quickly, different public colleges within the space had opened and took college students away from the Wingate College. In response to the surface pressures, Wingate started to consolidate and focus extra on higher degree grades in highschool within the early 1900s.

In 1923, the Wingate College underwent two main modifications. First, the Wingate College efficiently transitioned to a two-year junior faculty. Quickly after changing into Wingate Junior School, the Baptist State Conference of North Carolina began to assist the school. Nonetheless, as with many faculties and universities within the state, Wingate endured a number of struggles throughout the Nice Despair. The conference backed away from supporting the school, and lots of college students dropped out as a result of they may not afford to pay tuition. To additional complicate issues, the college’s monetary scenario grew extra cumbersome with the burning of the administration constructing in 1932.


Regardless of the issues that Wingate confronted, the school’s president, its willful academics, and Baptist supporters sought to proceed the establishment. Ultimately, the administration constructing was rebuilt and in 1949 the North Carolina Baptist Conference continued supporting the college. A number of years later within the yr 1952, the Southern Affiliation of Schools and Colleges accredited Wingate School. Charles Cannon, a Kannapolis supporter, donated funds to the college within the Fifties. In response to William Powell, “Cannon say Wingate as a spot the place the youngsters of textile staff and others within the center class may obtain a possibility to achieve larger schooling” (Encyclopedia, p. 1215). After the inflow of funds to the college, the scholar physique had made it to the 1,500 mark by the tip of the Nineteen Sixties.

Wingate Junior School grew to become Wingate School in 1977 after a number of majors have been added to the curricula of the establishment. Along with changing into a a four-year college, Wingate instituted its modern Winternational program in 1979. Winternational allowed each sophomore the chance to go to both London, Paris, or Amsterdam throughout the Christmas break interval. After the addition of a number of different majors and graduate applications in each enterprise and schooling, Wingate School grew to become Wingate College in 1995.

Wingate College presently enrolls barely greater than 2,500 college students, and the establishment gives Bachelor of Arts, Science, Music Schooling, Advantageous Arts, and Liberal Research. In response to the college’s web site, the student-to-faculty ratio is 14 to 1, and Wingate boasts in its nineteen athletic groups. Some well-known alumni of Wingate embrace Anthony Dean Griffey (a Grammy Award singer of the Metropolitan Opera), Edward Walker (designer with the present “Buying and selling Areas”), and Leon Levine (founding father of Household Greenback).

Similar Posts