Understanding University Registration and Regulations

Department of Academic Affairs 106 Nellie Craig Walker Hall www.MiamiOH.edu/registrar/

Stay ahead of important academic dates and deadlines by checking the Academic Calendar online at MiamiOH.edu/OneStop. Be advised, dates are subject to change without notice.

University registration isn’t just about enrolling in classes; it also includes obtaining and validating your student ID. For those on the main campus, you can get your ID at the Campus Services Center (34 Nellie Craig Walker Hall). If you’re a regional student, head to the Office of IT services on your campus for your ID.

Course offerings and other vital registration info are accessible online via the Course List (www.apps.miamioh.edu/courselist). Keep in mind that course availability is subject to unexpected changes.

Newbie undergraduates must meet with an academic advisor to plan their required courses and electives. They take this step during the June Summer Orientation. Continuing students should also consult their advisors for extra academic and career guidance before they register for classes.

Use myMiami/Banner Self-Service (www.mymiami.MiamiOH.edu) to register for classes at Miami University and instantly confirm your schedule. Any changes to your schedule can also be done through Banner Self-Service, but only during the designated days and times.

Prior to registering, you must provide emergency contact details. This is essential for the university to quickly get in touch with a family member or loved one in case of an emergency or any critical situation.

Additionally, you are required to provide your local contact info and the details of a family member/guardian/spouse, or another significant person. Registering for the next semester’s courses will be put on hold until you provide this information. Students are also mandated to sign a Financial Responsibility Agreement each fall and spring semester before registering.

Always check with your advisor before registering for courses to ensure you’re fulfilling all your degree requirements.

Minimum and Maximum Registration

For details on Graduate Minimum and Maximum Registration, and Course Load, refer to the Policy Library: https://www.miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/graduate/graduate-academic-regulations/registration.html

Change of Status or Program

Any change in graduate standing, such as transitioning from continuing graduate status (CGS) to degree status, requires approval from your major department or division and the Graduate School. To switch from continuing graduate status to regular or conditional standing, you will need to reapply to the Graduate School.

Students with a grade point average below 3.00 seeking to switch majors and/or degree programs must secure approval from the Student Petitions Committee of the Graduate Council.

Transfer Credit

Migrate to the Policy Library for details on Graduate Transfer Credit: https://www.miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/graduate/graduate-academic-regulations/registration.html

Changes to your course registration can only be made during the set period indicated in your registration time ticket and the University academic calendar ( http://miamioh.edu/academic-calendar/index.html ). Your changes won’t be official until they’re recorded in the student registration system.

Adding, Dropping and Withdrawing from a Course

Information about adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a course can be found in the Policy Library.

  • Undergraduate: https://www.miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/undergraduate/academic-regulations/registration-undergraduate.html
  • Graduate: https://www.miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/graduate/graduate-academic-regulations/registration.html

Course Section Change

When changing sections online, you must drop the section you’re currently in before adding the new one. Keep in mind that if many students are vying for spots in the same course, there’s a risk you may lose your place altogether.

You can find information on undergraduate credit hour loads in the Policy Library: https://miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/undergraduate/academic-regulations/registration-undergraduate.html

Independent Work

Independent work can come in the form of internships or co-operative education and independent study. Refer to the following links for more details:

  1. Undergraduate: https://miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/undergraduate/academic-regulations/graduation-requirements.html
  2. Graduate: https://www.miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/graduate/graduate-academic-regulations/registration.html

For additional information, see Special Course Numbers in the Courses of Instruction General Information section.

Refer to the University Policy Library for comprehensive details on the undergraduate Course Repeat Policy.

Make sure to consult the Policy Library for the most current information: https://miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/undergraduate/academic-regulations/classification-of-students.html

Refer to the Policy Library for information: https://www.miamioh.edu/policy-library/students/graduate/graduate-academic-regulations/registration.html

Full-time Miami students have the option to take courses through the Greater Cincinnati College Connection throughout the academic year and summer, offering courses not typically available at their home institution.

Members of the Cincinnati Consortium include a range of educational institutions extending the opportunity for cross-registration.

The One Stop can provide you with further information on this opportunity.

Full-time Miami students can also take advantage of the Southwestern Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE) to access courses not typically available at their home institution during the academic year and summer.

SOCHE offers cross-registration opportunities to its member institutions, providing additional educational choices to students.

The One Stop can provide you with additional information about this program as well.

Changes in Policy

For complete information on changes in any academic policy on student conduct, grievance procedures, or petitions consult the University Policy Library. You are responsible for staying informed about any changes in these policies that may affect you.

Electronic Directory

Miami’s electronic directory is accessible worldwide via the Internet. To safeguard the privacy of students, faculty, and staff, certain data is restricted to the Miami University community:

  • University-supplied data: Division (staff, faculty) Office address (staff, faculty) Home address and phone number (students, staff, faculty; if authorized) School address and phone number (students)
  • Optional individual-supplied data: e-mail address and phone number Mobile phone number Office hours High schools attended Other colleges attended

FERPA Release and Directory Restriction

Under the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA, Buckley Amendment), all students can request exclusion from the university’s electronic directory.

Upon enrolling, students are automatically included in the electronic directory from August 1st, but they have the option to request exclusion via a form available on the One Stop website (MiamiOH.edu/OneStop).

Freshmen can request exclusion any time before July 15, while continuing students can do so at any time during their enrollment at Miami.

Exclusion requests are processed within approximately 24 hours. Emergency exclusions, requested by Miami University Police or the Office of Student Affairs, are addressed as quickly as possible by IT Services.

Right to Privacy and Access: Student Records

Miami University maintains records on all Miami students, including academic and demographic information. To protect students’ privacy and ensure their access to their records, Miami has developed a policy for maintaining and administering student records.

As required by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), the complete policy is included in the online University Policy Library.

Similar Posts