THE HISTORY OF THE MOTHER PEARL

On Friday, November 17, 1911, three Howard College undergraduate college students, Frank Coleman, Oscar James Cooper and Edgar Amos Love, met with Professor Ernest Everett Simply in his workplace in Science Corridor (Thirkield Corridor) to determine a fraternity. At this assembly, they determined upon the motto “friendship is crucial to the soul” as symbolized by the letters OMEGA PSI PHI, that are the initials of the three Greek phrases that symbolize the motto. They selected Manhood, Scholarship, Perseverance and Uplift because the 4 cardinal ideas of the fraternity and determined upon the design of the fraternity’s pin and escutcheon.

On Thursday, November 23, 1911, the three undergraduate Founders met and elected Love as Grand Basileus, Cooper as Grand Keeper of Information (Grand Keeper of Information and Seals or Grand KRS) and Coleman as Grand Keeper of Seals (Grand Keeper of Finance or Grand KF). After rigorously finding out the scholar physique for potential candidates, they selected eleven males who not solely possessed the ideas upon which the fraternity was based but in addition have been keen to assist Omega on its method. The eleven Constitution members chosen for the primary chapter of the fraternity, Alpha, established at Howard College have been: William S. Gilbert, Charles Younger Harris, Clarence Albert Hayes, Benjamin Harry Jones, Clarence Osceola Lewis, Julius Henderson Love, William Albert Love, William Henry Pleasants, Charles Brougham Washington, Edgar Paul Westmoreland and Frank Howell Wimberly. The three Founders then fashioned a committee to attract up a structure that may be submitted to the President of the college for school approval.

On Thursday, December 8, 1911, the committee made its report back to the Grand Chapter, the structure was adopted and every constitution member signed the unique doc that was submitted to the President. The Grand Chapter needed to work exhausting to win school approval at Howard though the boys who signed the structure have been pupil leaders in teachers and extracurricular actions. Slightly than watch for school approval, they positioned small placards in conspicuous locations round campus saying the existence of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity and listed the names of its members.

On December 15, 1911, prior to college approval, Alpha Chapter, The Mom Pearl, was Alpha Chapter 1912.jpgestablished at Howard College with fourteen Constitution members. Together with the Founders, these eleven stalwart males chosen on November twenty third fashioned the inspiration of The Mom Pearl. At this assembly, Coleman was chosen as Alpha Chapter’s first Basileus, Edgar A. Love as its first Keeper of Information and Cooper as its first Keeper of Seals. Whereas nonetheless awaiting school approval of its structure and assured that approval would ultimately come, Alpha Chapter voted on new members on February 21, 1912. On February 28, 1912, members of the non permanent chapter took the oath of allegiance and Alpha Chapter held its first initiation, including 4 new members, Moses T. Claybourne, Christopher Columbus Cook dinner, William Barrington Jason and James Raymond Johnson. The everlasting chapter was established with the election of Westmoreland as Basileus, Cook dinner as Keeper of Information and Wimberly as Keeper of Seals.

On March 2, 1912, Brother Coleman and Brother Hayes reported to the Grand Officers and Alpha Chapter on their convention with the college and knowledgeable them that the President of the college resisted the fraternity’s nationwide aspirations. The Brothers stored the article within the structure relating to Omega Psi Phi Fraternity’s nationwide aspirations. Ultimately, the college withdrew its objections and acknowledged the Fraternity as a nationwide group. The Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Grand Chapter was included below the legal guidelines of the District of Columbia on October 28, 1914 by Edgar A. Love as Grand Basileus, Oscar J. Cooper as Grand Keeper of Information and Frank Coleman as Grand Keeper of Seals.

Having overcome school resistance for nationwide growth, Alpha Chapter appointed a committee to report on establishing a chapter at Lincoln College in Pennsylvania. After recommending institution of a chapter at Lincoln, Alpha Chapter appointed Cooper, John Howard McMorries (Alpha 1913) and William Griffith Carter Brannon (Alpha 1912) to hold out Omega’s growth. On February 6, 1914, they initiated twenty males from Lincoln who turned the Constitution members of Beta Chapter, the second chapter established.

Omega Psi Phi had an early attraction for worldwide college students as Alpha Chapter initiated its first worldwide pupil, from St. Vincent (now St. Vincent and the Grenadines), in 1912. Others adopted from St. Kitts and the Dominican Republic.

The primary Alpha Chapter Home, within the 12 months 1913, was positioned at 326 T Avenue, NW in Washington, DC.. Inside a couple of weeks, the Brothers moved to 322 T Avenue, NW and remained there till 1917. Otto Leland Bohannon (Alpha 1913) wrote the primary official fraternity hymn, “Omega Males Draw Nigh,” in 1917. As Editor of “The Oracle,” the official organ of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., Stanley Moreland Douglass (Alpha 1915) printed its first problem in 1919.

Throughout this era, the Brothers of Alpha Chapter firmly established Omega’s roots.

Similar Posts