College of North Alabama

College of North Alabama The College of North Alabama (UNA) is positioned in Florence, Lauderdale County. Based as LaGrange Faculty close to Leighton, in 1830, it was the primary state-chartered school in Alabama. Initially established by the Methodist Church, the college grew to become a state-run establishment in 1870. The varsity has been positioned in Florence since 1855 and has been often called the College of North Alabama since 1974. UNA presently provides greater than 60 undergraduate majors and 7 graduate packages in 4 faculties: the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Faculty of Enterprise, the Faculty of Schooling, and the Faculty of Nursing and Allied Well being. The college earned a top-tier rating in U.S. Information and World Report’s checklist of America’s greatest faculties in 2008. Notable alumni embody Pulitzer Prize-winning creator T. S. Stribling, politician, Edward Berton Almon, a number of members of the Drive-By Truckers band, and actor George Lindsey.

Florence State Lecturers Faculty (UNA) LaGrange Faculty was established on January 11, 1830, in Leighton, Lauderdale County, by the Tennessee and Mississippi Conferences of the Methodist Church. Though the founders have been deeply non secular, they decided that the school curriculum can be nondenominational and concentrate on literary and scientific, relatively than theological, instruction. The school opened with 70 male college students and three college members beneath the supervision of Reverend Robert Paine as its first president. In 1846, LaGrange Faculty’s second president, Edward Wadsworth, started his time period and oversaw the initiation of a scholarship fundraising program; by 1849, enrollment had exceeded 100 college students. James W. Hardy grew to become president in 1852 and served till his sudden loss of life in 1853; he was succeeded by Richard Henderson Rivers in 1854. Not lengthy after his promotion to the presidency, the Session of Alabama and Memphis Annual Convention voted to maneuver LaGrange Faculty to Florence for monetary and logistic causes. The transfer befell in January 1855, and though the brand new location was not more than 15 miles away, it took three days to finish the transfer by the use of a caravan. The brand new website consisted of a number of giant tents till buildings may very well be constructed. Each the unique and new college websites operated beneath the title LaGrange Faculty for almost a 12 months, however by 1856, the Florence campus had been renamed Florence Wesleyan College.

In 1862, Robert A. Younger grew to become president of Florence Wesleyan and struggled to maintain the college working through the Civil Conflict years. He resigned in 1866, and the campus fell largely into disuse. Throughout this time, the college’s buildings have been used for varied neighborhood occasions and assembly locations. The college reopened in 1868 with William Henry Anderson as president. Two years later, going through declining enrollment, the North Alabama Methodist Convention supplied the property to the state of Alabama on the situation that it’s transformed to a coaching college for lecturers, often called a traditional college. The state accepted the proposal, and in 1872, the college was renamed the State Regular Faculty at Florence, with Septimus Primus Rice as president. The varsity was the primary state-supported lecturers school south of the Ohio River and opened in 1874 with the addition of 31 ladies college students, making it additionally one of many first coeducational teacher-training establishments within the nation. The primary class graduated in 1877, with three of the 4 graduates being ladies. Girls have been employed as college for the primary time in 1879.

Amphitheater and O’Neal Corridor at UNA ca. Thirties In 1911, the school got here beneath management of the Alabama State Board of Schooling. President James Knox Powers, who had additionally served as president from 1887 to 1897, oversaw the introduction of the primary librarian on workers, the primary school orchestra, and building of the primary ladies’s dormitory. Henry J. Willingham grew to become president in 1913 and oversaw completion of the dormitory, O’Neal Corridor, which was named for Alabama governor and alumna Edward O’Neal. This constructing was later changed by the Guillot College Middle. The school had expanded to twenty members, and the coed physique reached greater than 500. The varsity expanded steadily between 1914 and 1922. In 1916, the college held its first summer season session, and enrollment was so excessive that male college students lived in tents and the variety of summer season graduates exceeded the quantity for fall or spring. Two new dormitories have been inbuilt 1918 to accommodate the rising demand for scholar housing. By 1922, college college members have been providing extension programs to lecturers in surrounding areas, and the brand new laboratory elementary college, Kilby Coaching Faculty, was educating greater than 300 college students yearly.

Rogers Corridor In 1929, the college was renamed Florence State Lecturers Faculty and subsequently added two new halls (Bibb Graves and Rogers), the Memorial Amphitheater, a library, a gymnasium, two dormitories, and married scholar housing. The varsity awarded its first bachelor of science levels in 1931 and acquired accreditation by the Southern Affiliation of Schools and Faculties in 1934. In 1949, the Rogers household offered their residence, Courtview, to the college; it had previously been the house of Alabama governor Emmett O’Neal and previous to that the outstanding Foster household. The varsity’s title was shortened in 1957 to Florence State Faculty. The years 1957-1968 noticed an enlargement in course choices and the start of an enormous constructing overhaul on the college’s campus. New buildings included Floyd Science Constructing, 4 new halls (Lafayette, LaGrange, Rice, and Rivers), the Pupil Union Constructing, an addition to Collier Library, Towers Cafeteria, the Planetarium-Observatory, a brand new Kilby Faculty constructing, and a greenhouse. In 1963, Florence State admitted its first African American scholar, Wendell Wilkie Gunn. In contrast to different universities of the time, the admission went comparatively easily.

In 1968, Florence State Faculty modified its title to Florence State College. Throughout this era, the college opened the Lurleen Burns Wallace Wonderful Arts Middle and the Bennett Infirmary. A Greek system was established on campus in 1972, together with the opening of Flowers Corridor gymnasium. Robert Miller Guillot grew to become president in 1972 and oversaw the institution of the Faculty of Nursing the next 12 months. In 1974, the school was renamed the College of North Alabama and quickly expanded its amenities and educational capability. In 1974, Wesleyan and Rogers halls have been added to the nationwide register of historic locations, and Mary Ella Potts grew to become president professional tempore of the UNA Board of Trustees, the primary lady in Alabama to serve on this capability.

Floyd Science Constructing at UNA Robert L. Potts took the helm as president in 1990 throughout a interval of financial stress and a decline in funding for public schooling. Regardless of these struggles, a number of buildings have been renovated throughout this time, together with Coby Corridor, Powers Corridor, and Braly Municipal Stadium. Potts resigned in 2004 to take a place as chancellor of the North Dakota College System, and William G. Cale, Jr., grew to become president. In 2005, the college’s enrollment surpassed 6,000, the UNA Honors Program was established, and Powers Corridor was transformed into a world scholar middle. UNA presently has college students from greater than 40 international locations. It is likely one of the solely faculties in Alabama to supply a level in industrial music and one in all 5 faculties within the nation to have an accredited industrial hygiene program. The Kilby Laboratory Faculty stays the one university-owned elementary college within the state and provides instruction for college students in grades Okay-6 in addition to offering observational and educational alternatives for UNA college and college students; it’s nonetheless positioned on the campus of UNA.

As of 2009, 7,243 graduate and undergraduate college students have been enrolled at UNA, and the college employed 322 college and workers. The college hosts many yearly occasions and actions, together with the George Lindsey Movie Competition, in honor of former alumnus George Lindsey, and the Trumbauer State Secondary Theater Competition.

UNA Flag and Soccer UNA has an extended custom in athletics. Soccer and baseball groups have been first talked about within the course catalogue in 1911, with the primary soccer group shedding 101-0 to the College of the South in 1912. The varsity nickname is the Lions, and two stay lions, Leo III and Una, reside in state-of-the-art amenities close to the primary campus entrance. The varsity colours are gold and purple. UNA groups play within the NCAA Division II subdivision, within the Gulf South Convention. The college presently fields groups in soccer, baseball, and softball; males’s and girls’s basketball, cross nation, and tennis; males’s golf; and girls’s soccer and volleyball. In 1983, UNA gained the Gulf South Convention Championships in soccer, basketball, and baseball. The soccer group gained three consecutive Division II soccer championships from 1993 to 1995 and was chosen the “Greatest Division II Workforce of the Quarter Century” in 1995; the group additionally grew to become the primary Division II soccer group within the nation to go to the White Home. Moreover, the UNA volleyball group grew to become the primary Alabama group in historical past to win the NCAA Division II Nationwide Championship in 2003.

Similar Posts